How rewarding it’s in your dog to sit down and stay calmly before you permit him to get some food, or treat or a toy. And in your dog, it is a superb experience to attend until you to offer the command. Because that is how your dog desires to interact with you. You might be answerable for his space and he’ll obey and reward you if you make training fun.
The Sit & Stay Game makes training your dog to sit down and stay a fun and rewarding experience for each of you.
Rules of the Game
- Select a high-reward food and make certain that your dog is hungry and able to eat.
- Settle on the “Command” word. Keep it consistent, something like “Sit (or Stay or Wait)” works well.
- Settle on the “No Reward” marker word, something like “Nope (or Too Bad or Opps)” works well.
- Watch your dog’s language. The best way a dog says “please” is to get into the “sit” position.
- Be patient. You dog will sit to say “please” (eventually).
Sit & Stay Food Bowl Game
When a dog wants food, a toy, to play, or simply going out the door, he looks for a command from the pack leader. So here’s an excellent method to train your dog that’s fun and rewarding. At the identical time, you might be giving your dog the impression that you simply are the pack leader:
- Ask your dog to “Sit” whilst you hold the food bowl out of reach out of your dog, about 2 feet away. Stand sideways with one shoulder facing him. Hold the bowl on the alternative side.
- Begin to lower the bowl straight right down to the ground. As you lower the bowl, in case your dog moves or gets up, simply say very matter-of-factly “Nope” (your command word) AND at the identical time move the bowl away and out of reach. Then ask your dog to sit down again. (You might must step out of position so you may face your dog sideways or put him back into position if he has scooted forward). The bottom line is to start out fresh from the identical position again.
- When your dog maintains the SIT POSITION, start lowering the bowl to the floor–while he remains to be in position. In case your dog starts to rise up to come back to the bowl, pull the bowl back up again. The bottom line is that you simply are bending down with the bowl and pulling back with the bowl until you may place it on the ground while your dog is HOLDING THE SIT POSITION.
- Make eye contact along with your dog while he’s within the sit position. You would like your dog to remain within the sit position AND make eye contact, before you progress the bowl to your dog and provides it to him.
- When you’ve placed the bowl on the ground, say “Stay” (or your command word), wait just a few seconds, then move the bowl towards your dog and permit him to eat. Don’t expect an excessive amount of out of your dog, yet. Just just a few seconds of HOLDING THE STAY POSITION “wait” time is sweet at first.
- When your dog has maintained the SIT & STAY for just a few seconds, then move the bowl toward your dog and permit him to eat his food. Play the sport one or two times a day, at feeding time, adding just a few seconds to the “Stay” time until your dog holds the SIT & STAY position and also you give him the bowl. You might be developing your dog’s behavior to sit down and wait in your command so as to get the reward.
Remember each you and your dog needs to grasp the foundations: With a purpose to get food your dog must hold the Sit & Stay position and take a look at you (not the food) to win the sport!
You possibly can do that with a treat, a ball or toy too. Keep it fun, laugh at your dog when he tries to cheat, and provides your dog praise when he gets it right.
The Sit & Stay Game shouldn’t be nearly training your dog to sit down and stay for food. It’s in regards to the praise you give–and the enjoyment you get when your dog politely sits and stays for you. What it’s really about is winning a fun and rewarding relationship for each you and your dog!