Dangers of Dogs Eating Chocolate


Chocolate treats should never be given to your dog. Chocolate comprises two elements which are dangerous for dogs’ health. The primary, caffeine, is one that you just are acquainted with. This accelerates the central nervous system and is undesirable to introduce into your dog’s body. The second element is a substance called theobromine, (C7-H8-N4-O2). Theobromine is present in chocolate, tea, soda, and another foods. It’s a natural component of the cacao beans.

While the proportion of theobromine varies depending on the kind of chocolate, excessive levels of theobromine in a dog’s system will induce toxicity, with symptoms starting from nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and increased urination (because the body tries to expel the substance) to cardiac arrhythmias, epileptic seizures, internal bleeding, cardiac arrest, and death. Restlessness and agitation are other visible symptoms of health problems.

We will digest it. Dogs cannot. Their system is unable to soundly metabolize theobromine. The chemical will not be broken down well enough or fast enough when consumed. It affects the dog’s central nervous system and mainly throws it right into a panic state.

It’s estimated that a dog will experience intestinal distress and, potentially, other symptoms if he eats 240 kg of dark chocolate (8.5 ounces) but may only experience intestinal distress if a corresponding level of refined milk chocolate is consumed. Levels lower than 1.1 kilos may create symptoms equivalent to vomiting and diarrhea, without progressing to the fatal end of the spectrum. A medium bag of peanut M&M’s comprises 396.9 grams, which is roughly 0.88 kilos. A dog who eats the entire bag could have intestinal problems but may not exhibit symptoms equivalent to cardiac arrhythmias. A dog who eats two may die.

Dark chocolate and baker’s chocolate have higher levels of theobromine than the refined chocolate candies. But no chocolate candy is acceptable in your dog to eat.

Through the holiday seasons, keep a watch out for platters of brownies or chocolate cookies which are unnoticed for guests. At Halloween time, ensure that that the treats for the neighborhood kids are stored safely away. All year long watch out to store your chocolate treats in locations that can’t be reached.

Should your dog get his paws on an excessive amount of chocolate, contact your vet immediately. Induce vomiting, using Syrup of Ipecac or hydrogen peroxide. Follow this by administering activated charcoal, which binds with the poison to stop processing and absorption into the dog’s bloodstream.

Discuss emergency procedures along with your dog’s veterinarian during your first visit and ensure that you understand handle an emergency. Keep contact numbers handy in your vet and an area animal hospital.

1. http://shop.dogacademy.com/forbidden-foods-free-tips.aspx

2. http://www.sciencelab.com/xMSDS-Theobromine-9925229

3. http://www.bigpawsonly.com/chocolate-poisoning-in-dogs-health.htm


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here