Need to learn which food is the best cat food for urinary tract health so your cat can live an extended life? You’re on the suitable page. Adults cats often suffer from dehydration, which causes many felines to develop urinary tract problems in life.
Learn methods to higher care for your cat’s urinary tract health by providing an acceptable, nutritious food regimen.
Article last updated: [last-modified]
- Find out how to Tell Your Cat Has UTI Issues
- Selecting the Right Cat Food for Urinary Tract Health
- Cat Food Reviews for Urinary Health:
- Hill’s Science Weight loss plan Urinary Cat Food Review
- Wellness Grain-Free Wet Cat Food Review
- Royal Canine Feline Urinary SO 33 Dry Food Review
- Purina One Focus Urinary Wet and Dry Food Review
- FAQ to Treating UTI’s in Cats
- Final Thoughts
Find out how to Tell Your Cat Has Urinary Tract Problems
Cats are probably the most discreet pets with a mature grooming aptitude. They quickly learn methods to use the litter box at a young age. So long as you retain the litter box clean, they’ll maintain this behavior each time they wish to answer the decision of nature.
Common Symptoms of Urinary Tract Infections in Cats
- Frequent trips to the litter box with none success
- Urinating outside of the litter box in unusual places
- Blood within the urine (discolored or drops)
- Pain during urination, oftentimes coupled with howling, meowling, or crying out
- Strong/abnormal urine smell
- Only drops of urine come out when attempting to pee
- Showing physical signs of discomfort (grimacing or wincing when urinating)
- No large pee clumps within the litter
- Vomiting, lethargy
So, while you see your adult cat change and urinate outside the litter, for instance, there may likely be an underlying urinary tract problem.
Try not to fret an excessive amount of at first, because most often, you possibly can correct that with a easy change of food regimen and a visit to the vet.
At all times seek the advice of a vet if you happen to discover your cat is having trouble urinating, is peeing outside the litter box, has blood within the urine, or has trouble passing urine in any respect.
Why Select the Right Cat Food for Urinary Tract Health
Urinary tract issues are literally a number of the commonest problems in cats.
Fortunately, you possibly can discover the causes and symptoms so you possibly can tackle them before they turn into an epidemic.
Considered one of the ways to optimize a healthy urinary tract is by feeding your cat the food designed for cats with urinary tract problems. More often than not, this is completed with a specially-formulated food regimen (see cat foods below), coupled with a high-moisture intake strategy.
Avoiding a dry-only food regimen is a method you may help minimize the probabilities your cat develops UTI-related crystals.
How do you select the suitable food in your cat’s urinary health?
Selecting the suitable cat food needs to be something you pay more attention to in order that your feline can maintain a healthy urinary tract and experience less illness as they age.
See our selection below for the best cat food for urinary tract health, why these foods work and which one could also be suitable in your cat.
The Best Cat Foods to Support UTI Health in Cats
1. Hill’s Science Weight loss plan Urinary & Hairball Control Cat Food
Check Prices Meow
This food incorporates an optimal amount of magnesium – not an excessive amount of or too little. This makes it easy to control the magnesium content in your cat’s which advantages the entire urinary system. Also, the food helps in eliminating hairballs – that are a results of your cat’s grooming process.
Your cat needs enough fiber in her food regimen to shed hairballs properly. Fortunately, Hill’s Science Weight loss plan Cat Food comes with natural blends of fibers. This makes it easy in your feline friend to do away with messy hairballs.
In case your cat is picky, chances are you’ll sometimes have to come to a decision between dry or wet cat foods. This cat food is offered each as canned cat food and dry cat food, providing great taste and nutrition in various formats.
It’s suitable for adult cats and people cats from ages 1 to six years.
It has real chicken and natural ingredients and is specifically for cats with urinary tract problems. By stopping urinary tract infections – which is common amongst adult cats – it helps your feline maintain nice health.
- Easy to digest formula provides for adequate absorption of nutrients
- High-quality, natural ingredients
- Antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and amino acids to support a healthy immune system
- Owners report a pungent smell
2. Wellness Complete Health Natural Wet Cat Food
Check Prices Meow
This wet cat food is what it’s worthwhile to provide a superb source of protein and essential fatty acid in your cat. Each meal of the Wellness Wet Cat Food will help your cat derive the balanced nutrition that’s needed to fuel growth.
The important thing ingredients on this food are all-natural.
No artificial flavors, colours or preservatives are added and supporting ingredients include essential vitamins and minerals, carrots and potatoes with cranberries and blueberries for a lift in your cat’s urinary tract health.
This grain-free cat food is best in your cat’s overall health!
Because hydration is a very important consider how much your cat responds to food when it comes to growth, feeding your cat a canned cat food like this increases your cat’s moisture intake.
Not only will you not worry about dehydration in your cat, but you’ll even be providing her a well-balanced food that supports her throughout her life.
- No meat by-products, artificial flavors, colours or preservatives
- Filled with minerals, vitamins, blueberries, and cranberries to support healthy urinary tract
- Keeps your feline hydrated with every can
3. Royal Canin Feline Urinary SO 33 Dry Cat Food
See Product Details
The Royal Canin Urinary Cat Food is specifically for cats with urethral issues and urinary issues like urine crystals. It helps in dissolving the crystals and takes them out of your cat’s urine by making the urine barely acidic.
There’s a high percentage of water content (about 64%), which helps to scale back the concentration of minerals within the urine in addition to combat cystitis and prevent crystalluria.
Due to its low-calorie content, the Royal Canin Feline Food offers a superb food regimen for healthy weight gain. It also helps increase the urine volume in order that your cat’s urinary system is free from calcium oxalate.
By promoting an environment that’s unbearable to crystals to develop, your cat’s kidney and bladder are healthy all day long.
- The food is enhanced with antioxidants to assist your cat maintain a healthy immune system
- It comes with additives to dissolve struvite crystals
- It’s suitable for cats affected by bladder problems
- Overpriced on Amazon (Higher to purchase directly from the vet)
4. Purina Pro Plan FOCUS Urinary Tract Health Formula Adult Wet Cat Food
Check the Reviews
In keeping with PurinaOne, the Purina Pro Plan Cat Food may help reduce the urinary pH of your cat and supply low dietary magnesium so your feline can maintain good urinary health.
Offers your kitty a savory gravy dish that’s tasty and nutritious. It also incorporates prebiotic fiber, which promotes digestive health in your cat’s overall well-being.
The Purina Pro Plan Wet Food is specialized nutrition to satisfy cats of various ages, lifestyles, and unique needs. With the balanced nutrition offered by this cat food, your cat’s immune system shall be strong and the urinary pH levels low.
Like most wet cat foods, this food comes with high water content. This implies increased moisture intake in your cat, optimizing his or her urinary tract health.
- Offers a balanced food regimen with essential minerals and vitamins
- It comes with quality protein for lean muscles, strength, and energy
- It makes it easy to manage magnesium and helps reduce urinary pH for a healthier feline
- Accommodates meat by-products (12% crude min protein), gluten and artificial flavors
5. Purina ONE Urinary Tract Health Formula Dry Cat Food
That is an adult mix of cat food with real chicken that’s easily digestible. It comes with a lot of Omega-6 fatty acids that help promote healthy skin and coat.
Purina One Formula Dry Cat Food helps lower the chance of blockages by lowering the extraordinary pH of urine and provides low dietary magnesium to enhance your cat’s urinary tract health. With the mix of this, your cat has a probability to live longer.
Unlike others of its kind, it’s designed to assist cats with sensitive systems and urinary tract problems enjoy an incredible taste and proper nutrition.
- An inexpensive advice to keep up urinary tract health in adult cats
- Offers balanced nutrition enhanced with vitamins, Taurine, and minerals
- Corn gluten meal and ground yellow corn are the primary two ingredients
FAQ to Cat’s Urinary Tract Health
Listed here are some continuously asked questions on treating a cat’s urinary tract problems.
Can my cat’s UTI go away by itself?
While you possibly can optimize your cat’s water intake and food regimen via specially formulated cat foods for urinary tract health, not all UTI’s will just “wish themselves away.”
To scale back your cat’s discomfort and suffering as much as possible, at all times seek the advice of a veterinarian. The UTI is perhaps a side effect of one other underlying illness.
Can I treat my cat’s UTI at home?
It’s best to go to your veterinarian to treat your cat’s UTI. You simply don’t know if the UTI is worse than your cat’s symptoms lead on. Also, to effectively eliminate your cat’s urinary infection, oral antibiotics will likely be administered.
Nonetheless, you may help treat your cat’s UTI at home holistically by adding a 1/4 teaspoon of organic apple cider vinegar to your cat’s water bowl. The acidity may help break up any present UTI crystals and disinfect your cat’s urinary tract.
Apple cider vinegar also supports healthy bacteria – like a prebiotic, which is able to help replenish healthy bacteria in your cat’s gut.
How long does it take for a cat’s UTI to clear up?
Typically, a cat’s UTI will take anywhere from 2-3 days to 5-6 days to clear up, depending upon the severity of the infection and the effectiveness of the antibiotics or treatment.
Final Thoughts: 5 Best Cat Foods for Urinary Tract Health
The most effective food in your cat’s urinary health is one which’s grain-free, low in magnesium but high in moisture.
The rationale is that dry cat food can result in FLUTD, so it’s higher to decide on something that’ll keep your cat in good health and be at a low risk of more diseases.
Your cat needs some type of hydration due to their urinary tract and only a top quality canned food or a balanced raw food regimen can provide adequate health in your cat. Also, adding a small amount of water to your cat’s favorite food can improve digestion too.
When transitioning to a brand new food in your cat, achieve this progressively. One of the simplest ways of phasing out the old food is to do it over per week or two, adding the brand new food and gauging your cat’s response.