What do a bunch of cat veterinarians discuss after they’re hanging out at a celebration together? Cat poop, in fact, says Dr. Jean Hofve, holistic veterinarian, writer, and founding father of the positioning Little Big Cat. Why? Since the state of a cat’s poop is one in every of the fastest ways to assist determine what could be mistaken with an ailing kitty. Poop is essential to your cat’s health, so it stands to reason that the place where it exits, the cat butt, can be, too. Listed below are 4 essential things you need to find out about caring for the cat butt.
Dingleberries are only one cat butt problem. Photography ©LeventKonuk | Thinkstock.
1. Cat butt dingleberries
If you’ve gotten a longhaired cat like my Romeo, you’ve probably seen little pieces of poop clinging to a cat butt at times. It’s especially awesome while you discover this right after your cat has jumped up in your pillow and your face is 2 inches from the offending clump.
Dingleberries can occur in case your cat’s poop is soft and is particularly prevalent in cats with diarrhea. In case your cat has the runs, it’s idea to get him checked by a vet immediately.
One of the best thing to do to maintain the berries at bay is to maintain that cat butt trimmed of excess fur. You may rigorously do that yourself or take your cat to the vet or groomer for a “sanitary trim.”
2. Do you have to wipe a cat butt?
Well, it depends. Does your the cat butt in query need wiping? Technically, your cat should have the option to handle that himself, says Hofve. Nonetheless, she adds, there are circumstances when he’s going to want some assistance.
- Soft poop: In case your cat’s poop is softer than normal, it could follow his bottom. Typically your cat gets to this himself, but he may not get all of it so chances are you’ll must help.
- Obese cats: In case your cat’s obese, it could be hard for him to achieve all the way in which behind him to scrub up, explains Hofve. That’s good incentive to get your chubby kitty on a weight loss plan, yes?
- Arthritic cats: If an older cat suffers from arthritis, he may also have trouble bending that far to get to his poop chute.
Warm water on a soft washcloth is the very best method to clean a cat butt, Hofve advises. You may also use baby wipes or pet cleansing wipes like Earth Bath All Natural Cat Wipes, which I sometimes use.
Wipes are advantageous in case your cat can’t reach his bum by himself in any respect. But in case your cat can reach but simply hasn’t done such a bang-up job, just use plain water. You don’t want your cat licking himself after which ingesting chemicals, nevertheless mild, from the wipes.
Cat scooting is a sign that you need to take your cat to the vet. Photography © GlobalP | iStock.
3. Cat scooting
We’ve all witnessed this common cat butt issue. Your cat hops out of the box and immediately plops down onto the ground and appears to be wiping his bum along with your carpet. Or sometimes it could occur out of the blue. Regardless, nobody desires to should clean up skid marks from her light-colored Berber rug.
Cat scooting, though, is definitely thing, since it indicates there’s a problem at hand. From diarrhea to allergies to worms, something’s occurring back there and your cat’s scooting should let you know that he’s not feeling comfortable. If your cat is dragging his bum on the ground, take him for a visit with the vet.
4. Common health issues related to the cat butt
Being attentive to what’s occurring in your cat’s butt is idea. By knowing what’s coming out, you’ll be attuned to health issues. But in addition concentrate to the cat butt area itself. If there’s anything weird occurring down there, get your kitty to the vet immediately.
- One common problem you would possibly experience with a cat butt is swollen anal glands. The anal glands, positioned on either side of the anal opening, secrete a very important scent that coats the poop and is used for marking. A traditional poop coming through the rectum puts simply enough pressure on the glands to release the scent. But when a poop is just too hard or too soft, it won’t prompt that release. Over time, the glands back up and change into swollen and uncomfortable.
- You most likely won’t have the option to see the impacted glands because “they swell to the within,” says Hofve. But, she says, “scooting is one in every of the signs that anal glands are impacted. Or your cat could be licking lots at the world or doing strange yoga positions to try to get at it.”
- In case your cat exhibits any of those behaviors, get him checked on the vet. If the difficulty is impacted anal glands, your vet will manually empty them. And, cautions Hofve, don’t try to precise the glands yourself. Improper technique can create quite a multitude.
- You furthermore mght might periodically see little wiggling things (gag) in your cat’s poop or hanging out of the opening. Should you do, get your cat to the vet immediately. These are likely worms, and in the event that they’re hanging out within the exit area, the issue is already advanced. In actual fact, if anything odd is hanging out of your cat’s butt or in his poop (like string, for instance) take him to the vet. Even when the string appears to have come out completely, there should still be a chunk inside your cat’s body. Your vet will do an X-ray or ultrasound to make certain no string is left, snarled in your kitty’s organs.
Who knew the cat butt was such a very important area? Staying up in your cat’s business will keep you aware and informed in regards to the state of his health.
Tell us: What cat butt issues have you ever encountered?
Thumbnail: Photography ©Tomwang112 | Thinkstock.
This piece was originally published in 2012.
Disclaimer: Should you purchase items through links on our site we may earn a commission.